Many people have asked me where we came up with Korley's name. I'd love to have a great story about it being a family name, but unfortunately there is really no interesting story. (Well, it's not interesting unless you find my OCD interesting.) If we had wanted to use a family name (of an older ancestor), we would have had to go with something like.....Hulen, Homer, Marthell, Velma, Elmo, Dorothy. All of these people were wonderful and I'm sure at some point their names will be popular again, but we didn't want to use these names for our children.
Corley was the last name of some family friends of ours from Abilene, but this is not who Korley is named after. Truthfully, I was reading a wedding announcement one day and saw that the flower girl in the wedding was named Corley and thought it was cute.
Why did we use a "K" instead of "C"? Well, this is where my OCD comes into play. Landry's name is Landry Laurel and I wanted to use Kendall for the middle name. Kendall is my brother's middle name. So, because Landry's initials are LL, I had to have Korley's initials "match"....so KK it is!
Here are some other names we considered for Korley's name and the reasons why we didn't use them!
Griffin Grace......I love this name!! But, Griffin doesn't end "y", it doesn't have the same number of letters as Landry (6) and the middle name doesn't end in "L".
Ansley.....I love this name, too. Ansley has the same number of letters as Landry, but we couldn't think of a middle name we agreed on that started with an "A".
Hadley Hannah.....of course I love this name. Hadley is my dad's name. This would have been great because Hadley and Landry have the same number of letters, so do Hannah and Laurel. However, Jeff said he would feel weird calling his daughter the same name he calls his father-in-law. I can appreciate that; I would feel the same way if it was reversed.
Hallyn Hadley...... Hallyn was a name I put together. It's a combination of Hall (my maiden name) and Lyn (my middle name). I REALLY liked this despite the fact that Hallyn didn't end in "y". I was really on board to use this until I ran it by Jeff and he looked at me strangely and said "Like "Hallyn" a**? or "Hallyn" Oates?" Okay, we don't want the "haulin' " jokes.
Now that Korley is here and we've gotten to know her and learn her personality, I can't imagine any other name that would have been more perfect for her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









3 comments:
You made a great choice!! I had family names like Waurine, Rowan (which Brooke Shields used for her older daughter, Fedelia, Betty, and Rosalie. They are all good names from wonderful women and men whom I love dearly just not what we had planned. I do have a friend who's husband wanted their children to have the same initials.
For my daughter's we picked Kaylee Nicole because it was a name we agreed on. "Nicole" came from a dear friend of ours who passed away in a car accident before Kaylee was born. Campbell Grace was named after my dad. His middle name is Campbell and the Grace part was just one I loved. One of my favorite songs has always been Amazing Grace.
Oh please! I wanted my kids to have the same first letter of their name....Kylie, Keith! It just so happens that Riley is his middle name and Alan goes by his middle name...yadda, yadda.....now we have RHYMING names!!!
I am the same way when it comes to naming and how many letters!
I think Korley Kendall is too cute! I also love the name Landry! And they are both so precious!!
Erica- I love the names Kaylee and Campbell. They are darling girls names!
Traci- I love Riley and Kylie, too. In fact, one of the names we considered for Korley was Briley. You can use Briley for your next one and they will all rhyme!! :)
Post a Comment